Before you can download the game client and play, you must first create a Uplay account. Uplay is Ubisoft’s cross-platform, cross-game account system that allows you to connect with other gamers and earn rewards and achievements. You may already have a Uplay account from playing other Ubisoft games, which you can use to log in for Ghost Recon Online. If not, creating an account is simple.
1. Click the PLAY FREE button at the top of the homepage
2. Fill out registration or login with your Uplay account
3. Click the button to download the game installer
NOTE: You cannot use your Uplay account name as your in-game persona name in Ubisoft's games.
Download & Installation
After you’ve created your account, the next step is downloading the game client. Your process might be slightly different from that outlined below depending on which web browser and operating system you are using. Also, keep in mind, if you plan on playing the game from multiple computers, you will need to repeat this process for each of your machines.
- Go to the GRO homepage, log in, then click the ‘Play Free’ button in the top right.
- Once you click the "Play Free" button, you will be prompted to download and save the game launcher. Click "Save File"
- You may receive a message asking you to verify the installation. Click "Install" to begin.
- Once the base install is complete, the game launcher setup window will appear. This will give you the chance to specify a different location for the game on your PC. Unless you have a good reason to change this, you should accept the default location and click "Next".
- At this point, the launcher will begin downloading the most recent version of the full game. Once the game has finished updating click "Start Game".
If you encounter any issues with this process, please visit our FAQ.
Operating System: Windows XP (with SP 3) / Windows Vista (with SP 2) / Windows 7 (with SP 1)
Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.66 Ghz or AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+
Memory: 2 GB Windows XP / 3 GB Windows Vista for Windows 7
Graphic card: 256 MB, Shader Model 3.0-enabled video card
HDD: 6 GB of free disk space
Upon first logging into Ghost Recon Online, you will be prompted to create a "Persona Name". This Persona Name is how you will be identified to others in matches, leaderboards, friend lists and the chat lobby. After you’ve selected your persona name you will be asked to select a character class to start with. Once you have chosen a class you can customize the avatar as you see fit. While in the game lobby, you can switch classes at any time by pressing the ‘ESC’ key and selecting "Change Character".
For more information on classes check our Classes & Abilities section
After creating your first soldier, it’s time to play! To begin a match for the first time, simply click the "Play" button at the top of the screen, then click the "Start Search" button that appears in the middle of the screen. At this point, the matchmaking process will begin, and you will automatically be matched with other players!
For more information on matchmaking experience, watch our brief video introduction.
Continue with the next section: Gameplay Basics >>